To begin the application process, you will need to fill out the AG honors/Earl Warren Fellowship application form, pdf.
Completed applications and all required documents must be postmarked by the final filing date, October 17, 2017. We will not consider incomplete applications, or applications submitted by email or fax.
Candidates selected to move forward in the process will be notified regarding interviews in early November 2016. In-person interviews will be scheduled in late November 2016; applicants will be responsible for covering their own travel expenses. Conditional offers will be extended in December 2016. Six-to-ten individuals will be selected for the 2017 program, though the number of positions available will depend on staffing needs.
Applicants who receive offers must complete the Graduate Legal Assistant or Deputy Attorney General California Civil Service Examination and score in a reachable rank (1-3), pass the California Bar Exam, and pass a fingerprint check. Applicants must complete the applicable civil service examination by May 31, 2017.
If you accept a judicial clerkship for the 2017-2018 term after you have submitted your application, you must withdraw your application by writing to the below e-mail address. We regret that we cannot put applications "on hold" or make offers for the following year. Please consider re-applying at the conclusion of your clerkship.
If you have any questions, please contact your career services office or email@example.com.
Completed Examination/Employment Application (STD 678) and applicable or required documents must be submitted to apply for this program. Completed applications and all required documents must be received or postmarked by the Final Filing Date in order to be considered. Incomplete applications or materials submitted by email or fax will not be considered.
Mail your completed application packet to:
Department of Justice
Attorney General’s Honors Program
Attn: Danielle Newman
1300 I Street, 7th floor
Sacramento, CA, 95814
- State Examination/Employment Application STD. Form 678, pdf
- Completed AG Honors/Earl Warren Fellowship application
- Personal statement
- Writing sample, no more than 15 pages
- Two letters of recommendation from law school professors, judges you have worked with, or others familiar with your legal work. At least one letter should be from a law school professor.
- Law-school transcript
- September 1, 2016: Application period begins
- October 17, 2016: All applications must be received or postmarked by this date
- Early-November 2016: Candidates selected for interviews will be notified
- Late November 2016: In-person interviews will be held
- December 2016: Conditional offers extended
- June 30, 2017: Complete the Graduate Legal Assistant or Deputy Attorney General examination
- September 11, 2017: Program begins