California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) Current Rulemaking Activities
On December 10, 2020, the Department of Justice released a fourth set of proposed modifications to the regulations regarding the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) that went into effect on August 14, 2020. The notice of proposed modifications, text of the proposed modifications, and deadline to submit written comments are below. Subscribe to receive notifications regarding the rulemaking process.
Tips for making effective comments on regulations can be found here: Tips for Making Effective Comments, pdf.
The original rulemaking package and all related documents can be found on the CCPA Regulations page.
4th Set of Modifications to Proposed Modifications - released December 10, 2020
Deadline to Submit Written Comments: December 28, 2020 at 5 p.m.
- Notice of Fourth Set of Modifications, pdf
- Text of Fourth Set of Modified Regulations – Comparison Version, pdf
- Written Comments Received During 15-Day Comment Period, pdf
- Documents and Other Information Relied Upon
- Cranor, et al., CCPA Opt-Out Icon Testing – Phase 2 (May 28, 2020).
- Habib, et al., An Empirical Analysis of Data Deletion and Opt-Out Choices on 150 Websites, USENIX Symposium on Usable Privacy and Security (SOUPS) 2019, August 11-13, 2019, Santa Clara, CA, USA.
- Habib, et al., “It’s a scavenger hunt”: Usability of Websites’ Opt-Out and Data Deletion Choices, CHI ’20: Proceedings of the 2020 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, April 2020, Honolulu, HI, USA. (Article begins on page 21).
- Luguri, Jamie and Strahilevitz, Lior, Shining a Light on Dark Patterns (August 1, 2019), University of Chicago, Public Law Working Paper No. 719, University of Chicago Coase-Sandor Institute for Law & Economics Research Paper No. 879.
- Mahoney, et al., California Consumer Privacy Act: Are Consumers’ Digital Rights Protected? (October 1, 2020), Consumer Reports.
Third Set of Proposed Modifications to CCPA Regulations - released October 12, 2020
Deadline to Submit Written Comments: October 28, 2020 at 5 p.m.