• Subscribe to the AG's RSS Feed
  • Join the AG's FaceBook
  • Follow the AG on Twitter
  • View the AG's YouTube Channel

Foreclosure Consultant Registration

After July 1, 2009, with certain limited exceptions, it is illegal to operate as a mortgage foreclosure consultant in California unless the foreclosure consultant has obtained from the Department of Justice a Certificate of Registration as a Mortgage Foreclosure Consultant. In order to obtain the Certificate of Registration required by California Civil Code section 2945.45, a foreclosure consultant must complete the application and provide all required documents to the Department of Justice.

If you are a foreclosure consultant, to be certain that you obtain your Certificate of Registration by July 1, you should submit your application no later than June 15, 2009. Be certain to submit with your application, a copy of the contract you will use with clients and all of the other documents required by the application form. You should send this information along with your check for the $850 filing fee made payable to the “California Attorney General’s Office” to:

Foreclosure Consultant Registration Program
California Attorney General's Office
Consumer Law Section
300 South Spring Street, Suite 1702
Los Angeles, CA 90013

Before a Certificate of Registration can be obtained, it will be necessary for you to obtain a bond in the amount of $100,000, and to file a copy of the bond with the Secretary of State. The Certificate of Registration will not be issued until the Secretary of State acknowledges that the bond has been properly filed. Please contact the Secretary of State to obtain the necessary bond forms at the address below:

Secretary of State
Special Filings Unit
1500 11th Street
Sacramento, CA 95814

You can also contact the Secretary of State’s Office via the web at: http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/sf/

If you would rather make a $100,000 deposit in lieu of obtaining the bond, you should contact us at the above address for the Attorney General’s Office and we will provide you with the form.

Your application will not be processed until the completed application form, all required documents, and the $850 fee have been received, and the Secretary of State has acknowledged receipt of the bond, or you have made the necessary $100,000 deposit in lieu of the bond.

After a Certificate of Registration is issued to you, you must inform us each time there is a material change in any of the information or documents you supplied with your initial application. Failure to do so can result in the revocation of your Certificate of Registration.

You can obtain a copy of the application form, pdf to register as a Mortgage Foreclosure Consultant, and can read a copy of the law to learn important information about additional requirements of the Mortgage Foreclosure Consultant Law, pdf.

State & Federal Laws

You can search California laws on the Internet

California Law

View a checklist of significant California consumer laws

CA Dept of Consumer Affairs

Search U.S. laws on the Internet at U.S. Code

U.S. Code

Megan's Law

California Registered Sex Offender Database

Search Now

Site Navigation

Translate Website

  • Google™ Translation Disclaimer

This Google™ translation feature is provided for informational purposes only.

The Office of the Attorney General is unable to guarantee the accuracy of this translation and is therefore not liable for any inaccurate information resulting from the translation application tool.

Please consult with a translator for accuracy if you are relying on the translation or are using this site for official business.

If you have any questions please contact:Bilingual Services Program at (916) 324-5482

A copy of this disclaimer can also be found on our Disclaimer page.

Select a Language Below / Seleccione el Idioma Abajo

Close this box or use the [ X ]