• Subscribe to the AG's RSS Feed
  • Join the AG's FaceBook
  • Follow the AG on Twitter
  • View the AG's YouTube Channel

Registration & Reporting

Links below to Registration and Reporting Forms used by the California Department of Justice.

Check Cashing Permits

Every owner of a check-cashing business in California is required by law to obtain a permit from the Attorney General's Office, California Department of Justice.


Persons holding property for charitable purposes, including nonprofit public benefit corporations, must register and file financial reports with the Attorney General's Registry of Charitable Trusts.

Credit Service Organizations

Any person who sells or provides services to improve a consumer's credit record, history or rating, which may include obtaining a loan or extension of credit for the consumer, is required to register with the Attorney General's Office. Excluded are banks and financial institutions otherwise regulated by government.

Fingerprint Roller Certification

California law requires any individual who rolls fingerprints manually or electronically for licensure, certification and/or employment purposes to be certified by the state Department of Justice.

Foreclosure Consultant Registration

By July 1, 2009, any person or company who performs or promises or offers to perform the services of a foreclosure consultant must register with the Attorney General’s Office, post a $100,000 bond and receive a Certificate of Registration from the AG’s Office or go out of business. A foreclosure consultant is one who, for compensation, promises to stop or postpone a foreclosure sale, save a home from foreclosure, or do anything else set forth in Civil Code Section 2945.1.

Gaming License

Applications and/or documents required for gaming activities in California used by the Attorney General's Division of Gambling Control and the California Gambling Control Commission.

International Student Exchange Placement Organizations

Anyone who regularly arranges the placement of foreign exchange students in California elementary, junior high and high schools must register with the Attorney General's Office prior to making the placement.

Proposition 65 Enforcement Reporting

State law requires any person suing "in the public interest" to enforce Proposition 65, the Safe Drinking and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986, to notify the Attorney General of the lawsuit and outcome of the case.

Raffle Registration

Charities and certain other private nonprofit organizations must register with the Attorney General's Registry of Charitable Trusts prior to holding fund-raising raffles.

Security Prescription Printers

Printers seeking to produce tamper-resistant prescription forms for purchase by prescribers of controlled drugs in California must apply with the Department of Justice to be placed on the state's "approved printers" list.

Seller-Assisted Marketing Plans

Persons selling business opportunities for initial payments of $500 to $50,000 must register with the Attorney General's Office prior to advertising or sales, unless otherwise licensed or regulated.

Seller of Travel

All sellers of travel doing business in California must register with the Attorney General's Office and display the registration number in their advertising.

Telephonic Sellers

A seller soliciting business by telephone in California is required to register with the state.

Tobacco Product Registration

Tobacco manufacturers are required by law to enter brands into the California Tobacco Directory prior to sale in the state.

Department Contact Information

  • Mailing Address
  • Attorney General’s Office
  • California Department of Justice
  • Attn: Public Inquiry Unit
  • P.O. Box 944255
  • Sacramento, CA 94244-2550

Express Mail / Location of Offices

Public Records Act Requests

Contact the PRA Coordinator

For questions regarding the Department of Justice contact

  • Public Inquiry Unit
  • Voice: (916) 322-3360 or
  • (Toll-free in California)
  • (800) 952-5225
  • Fax: (916) 323-5341
  • California Relay Service:
  • (For Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Callers)
  • TTY/TDD Dial 711 or
  • English: TTY/TDD (800) 735-2929
  • Spanish: TTY/TDD (800) 855-3000
  • Voice: (800) 735-2922

Outside of California Relay Service:
Please contact your state’s relay service number, available from the FCC’s Telecommunications Relay Services Directory

Email Us

Contact Us Using Online Forms Use the online forms or print hard copy forms to contact the Public Inquiry Unit.

Website Feedback

Email DOJ Webmaster Submit technical questions or comments about this website

What We Do

Browse Major Programs & Services Learn more about the Attorney General’s Office, Department of Justice

Megan's Law

California Registered Sex Offender Database

Search Now

Site Navigation

Translate Website

  • Google™ Translation Disclaimer

This Google™ translation feature is provided for informational purposes only.

The Office of the Attorney General is unable to guarantee the accuracy of this translation and is therefore not liable for any inaccurate information resulting from the translation application tool.

Please consult with a translator for accuracy if you are relying on the translation or are using this site for official business.

If you have any questions please contact:Bilingual Services Program at (916) 324-5482

A copy of this disclaimer can also be found on our Disclaimer page.

Select a Language Below / Seleccione el Idioma Abajo

Close this box or use the [ X ]