Division of Medi-Cal Fraud & Elder Abuse
To protect our most vulnerable citizens and help safeguard the state's Medi-Cal program, the Attorney General's Division of Medi-Cal Fraud and Elder Abuse works aggressively to investigate and prosecute those who would defraud taxpayers of millions of dollars and divert scarce health care resources from the needy. The Division of Medi-Cal Fraud and Elder Abuse also works aggressively to protect residents in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities from abuse or neglect. These dedicated efforts have earned national recognition for the Division of Medi-Cal Fraud and Abuse.
California's most vulnerable people - its children, poor, elderly and disabled - can all too often be victimized by:
- Doctors and other providers ordering unnecessary lab tests, and allowing untrained, uncertified assistants to provide medical treatment to patients;
- Pharmaceutical corporations and other entities within drug supply chains engaging in unlawful practices to increase sales or reimbursement at the state’s expense;
- Dentists performing unnecessary teeth extractions on both adults and children;
- Medical supply companies billing for equipment and products that were neither ordered nor delivered;
- Nursing homes allowing their patients to suffer from bedsores, malnutrition and dehydration; and
- Nurse assistants physically and financially abusing elderly and dependent adult patients who are entrusted to their care.