About the AG

  • Subscribe to the AG's RSS Feed
  • Join the AG's FaceBook
  • Follow the AG on Twitter
  • View the AG's YouTube Channel

Health Care

The government agency you need to contact about health coverage issues will depend on the type of health insurance plan you have.


California’s health insurance program under the Affordable Care Act is called Covered California. For information about the California program and to apply online, visit the Covered California website. For assistance or to apply in person, referrals to local resources including a list of free counselors in your area can be found on the Covered California website's Get Help page.


For problems with your HMO, including issues of medical care, prescriptions, preventive testing and mental health services, contact the state Department Managed Health Care. The department regulates all HMOs in California.

The Department of Managed Health Care's Consumer Help Line is available 24-hours daily toll-free at (888) HMO-2219 or (877) 688-9891 (TDD). If your dispute involves a serious or imminent threat to your health, such as the denial of treatment, inform the center that your call concerns an urgent matter. The department's website also explains the complaint process and your health care rights.


If you are having problems with Indemnity Policies or traditional fee-for-service health insurance coverage (e.g., Blue Cross/Blue Shield), contact Consumer Services in the California Department of Insurance. The department regulates all indemnity plans.


If you are having problems with your Preferred Provider Organization, you need to contact the Department of Managed Care if it involves an HMO or the Department of Insurance if the underwriting company is a licensed insurance company.


If you are having problems with your Self-Insured Health Plans (Single Employer Self-Insured Plans), you likely will need to contact the U.S. Department of Labor, Employee Benefits, Security Administration since most self-insured health plans fall under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA). However, the federal administration agency does not regulate self-insured health plans that are sponsored through school districts, other municipalities, and churches. If you are a member of this type of plan, you can file a complaint with the plan directly or you may seek a legal remedy through a court.


If you are having problems with health coverage under Multiple Employer Welfare Arrangements (MEWAs), contact the California Department of Insurance. MEWAs permit employer members of trade, industry, professional and other associations to create trust funds for the purpose of offering health care benefits to employees. Only MEWAs issued a certificate of compliance by November 30, 1995 from the Department of Insurance are allowed to operate in the state.

State & Federal Laws

You can search California laws on the Internet

California Law

View a checklist of significant California consumer laws

CA Dept of Consumer Affairs

Search U.S. laws on the Internet at U.S. Code

U.S. Code

Megan's Law

California Registered Sex Offender Database

Search Now

Site Navigation

Translate Website

  • Google™ Translation Disclaimer

This Google™ translation feature is provided for informational purposes only.

The Office of the Attorney General is unable to guarantee the accuracy of this translation and is therefore not liable for any inaccurate information resulting from the translation application tool.

Please consult with a translator for accuracy if you are relying on the translation or are using this site for official business.

If you have any questions please contact:Bilingual Services Program at (916) 324-5482

A copy of this disclaimer can also be found on our Disclaimer page.

Select a Language Below / Seleccione el Idioma Abajo

Close this box or use the [ X ]