About the AG

  • Subscribe to the AG's RSS Feed
  • Join the AG's FaceBook
  • Follow the AG on Twitter
  • View the AG's YouTube Channel

Landlord - Tenant Disputes

The Attorney General's role in "Landlord-Tenant" disputes is limited. We are not authorized by law to provide legal advice or private legal services to individual citizens. We can, however, offer you general information which may help you to help yourself.

The California Department of Consumer Affairs offers a California Tenant Guide. The California Courts also provides information on landlord/tenant issues, including frequently asked questions, legal service programs in your county and help with the return of a security deposit.

There may be a local consumer protection agency in your city or county. Your local telephone book would include the telephone number and address of such an agency.

If your complaint relates to health or safety of tenants, contact your local health department or building department. The name, address and telephone number will also be found in your local telephone book under city or county government.

If you feel your grievance merits legal action, we suggest that you confer with a private attorney to discuss the merits of your case. If your dispute involves less than $10,000, you have the option of using the small claims court system. In small claims actions, individuals are responsible for explaining their positions to judges without being represented by an attorney. Individuals are also responsible for producing witnesses or documents which they feel are necessary to support their positions. For more information on this procedure, check with your small claims court, which is usually located in your county courthouse.

State & Federal Laws

You can search California laws on the Internet

California Law

View a checklist of significant California consumer laws

CA Dept of Consumer Affairs

Search U.S. laws on the Internet at U.S. Code

U.S. Code

Megan's Law

California Registered Sex Offender Database

Search Now

Site Navigation

Translate Website

  • Google™ Translation Disclaimer

This Google™ translation feature is provided for informational purposes only.

The Office of the Attorney General is unable to guarantee the accuracy of this translation and is therefore not liable for any inaccurate information resulting from the translation application tool.

Please consult with a translator for accuracy if you are relying on the translation or are using this site for official business.

If you have any questions please contact:Bilingual Services Program at (916) 324-5482

A copy of this disclaimer can also be found on our Disclaimer page.

Select a Language Below / Seleccione el Idioma Abajo

Close this box or use the [ X ]