About the AG

  • Subscribe to the AG's RSS Feed
  • Join the AG's FaceBook
  • Follow the AG on Twitter
  • View the AG's YouTube Channel
  • View the AG's Tumblr Page

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Master Settlement Agreement (MSA)?

The Master Settlement Agreement (MSA) is a legal contract established between 46 states, including California, and five U.S. Territories, with participating tobacco manufacturers. The MSA provides numerous restrictions and prohibitions, including: bans on the use of cartoons in tobacco advertisements, youth exposure to sampling, certain sponsorships, and the use of most outdoor advertisements. See Resources for the Tobacco Settlement Summary, which includes a complete list of MSA restrictions.

Now that the lawsuit between the State of California and the tobacco industry has been settled, what will be the ongoing responsibilities of the Office of the Attorney General?

The Attorney General's Office has directed the Tobacco Litigation and Enforcement Section to administer the receipt and disbursements of settlement payments, enforce the MSA's tobacco company restrictions and prohibitions, and enforce other tobacco-related state laws.

I saw a tobacco billboard. Who do I report this to?

Contact the Attorney General's Tobacco Litigation and Enforcement Section. We can be reached on our Tobacco Complaint Line at (916) 565-6486 or use the Email Complaint Form so we can check out the situation and take appropriate action.

Where can I view tobacco industry documents?

You may find links to view tobacco industry documents by going to our Resources web page.

Can the Attorney General's office represent me in a private lawsuit against the tobacco industry?

No. The Attorney General cannot represent private individuals. You will have to hire a private attorney to represent you. One way to find an attorney is to contact your county's bar association lawyer referral service or you may want to contact the Public Health Advocacy Institute www.phaionline.org/.

Where can I get more information about quitting smoking?

A variety of websites and other resources are available. The California Department of Health Services has information available by calling 1-800-NO-BUTTS and at http://nobutts.ucsd.edu.

Megan's Law

California Registered Sex Offender Database

Search Now

Megan's Law information is also available in these languages:

Site Navigation

Translate Website

  • Google™ Translation Disclaimer

This Google™ translation feature is provided for informational purposes only.

The Office of the Attorney General is unable to guarantee the accuracy of this translation and is therefore not liable for any inaccurate information resulting from the translation application tool.

Please consult with a translator for accuracy if you are relying on the translation or are using this site for official business.

If you have any questions please contact:Bilingual Services Program at (916) 324-5482

A copy of this disclaimer can also be found on our Disclaimer page.

Select a Language Below / Seleccione el Idioma Abajo

Close this box or use the [ X ]