A “regulation” is any rule, regulation, order or standard of general application or the amendment, supplement, or revision of any rule, regulation, order, or standard adopted by any state agency to implement, interpret, or make specific the law enforced or administered by it.
When adopting regulations, the Department must follow the rulemaking procedures in the Administrative Procedure Act (APA), unless expressly exempted by statute. The APA requirements are designed to provide the public with a meaningful opportunity to participate in the adoption of regulations and to ensure the creation of an adequate record for the Office of Administrative Law and judicial review.
The links below provide access to recent rulemaking activity, including the regulation text and associated documents, the status of each rulemaking, and instructions on how to participate in the rulemaking process. Additionally, tips for making effective comments on regulations can be found here: Tips for Making Effective Comments, pdf.
Ongoing Rulemaking Activity
Regular Rulemaking Proposals
None at this time
Completed Rulemaking Activity
- Ammunition Purchases or Transfers
- Ammunition Vendor Licensing
- Assault Weapon Definitions
- Automated Firearms System (AFS) Information Updates
- California Firearms Application Reporting System (CFARS)
- Certificates of Eligibility (COE)
- Dealer Record of Sale (DROS) Fee
- DROS Entry System
- Firearm Identifying Information - Existing and New California Residents
- Identification Requirements for Firearms and Ammunition Eligibility Checks
- ‘Other’ Category Assault Weapon Registration
- Privacy Notices
- Self Manufactured and Self Assembled Firearms
- Unique Serial Number Application (USNA) Process
NOTE: Completed rulemaking webpages will be deleted 12 months after the regulation is filed with the Secretary of State.
Current firearms regulations can be found in Division 5, Title 11 of the California Code of Regulations (CCR)
To receive email notifications of future rulemaking activities, please contact: BOFregulations@doj.ca.gov